Catherine Ulmer – Workshop Tutor and Pitching Moderator
After studying Philosophy and an incursion into journalism, Catherine Ulmer decided to begin making documentaries.
Her first film dealt with the theme of communal graves under Franco for Spanish Television.
She then directed a film on the international brigades “¡Compañeros!”, which won a prize at the CMCA festival.
In 2006, she became interested in young men preparing to enter the priesthood and made a film for ARTE ZDF and TVE.
Then in 2008, she followed the life of Mukhtar Mai, victim of a collective rape and who afterwards struggled against the repressive Pakistani system by creating schools for little girls. Presented to the IDFA, “After the Rape” is distributed by Women Make Movies.
She teamed up with her brother, Bruno Ulmer in 2013 for the film “Il était une fois les mille et une nuits” for ARTE. She worked again with him in 2018 as an author on the film for ARTE «Mosques: Art and Space».
She regularly collaborates with the France 5 documentary series « A house, an artist » for which she made films about Cezanne, Toulouse-Lautrec, Federico Garcia Lorca, Gaudi, André Breton, Joan Mirò, Dora Maar and Joan of Arc.
In 2020 she directed the only documentary on Bryan Ferry “Bryan Ferry, don’t stop the music“, for ARTE and RTBF.
In 2022 she made a feature documentary for theatrical release calle “Fucking rabbit!” which follows during one year and a alf the workshops of comedian pupils and young patients from a psychiatric day hospital. She is currently developping a fiction movie for cinema.
Ventura Durall i Soler – Tutor of the Pitch Preparation Workshop
Scriptwriter, director, fiction and documentary producer.
ESCAC (Escola Superior de Cinema i Audiovisuals de Catalunya) graduate with a major in script.
In 2000 he established the production company NANOUK FILMS with the intention to create an artistic platform of reference in the Catalan and European audiovisual scene and to create new communication channels between the documentary arena and fiction films.
From this platform (www.nanouk.tv) a reference trademark for the creation of music clips, advertising and videoart scenes has also been established.
His pedagogical vocation is reflected in his work for the ESCAC where he has been for 10 years Head of the Documentary’s Department, and supervise all diploma thesis projects and leads the Documentary and Society Master Programme.
Among his numerous works the following stand out:
- 2022 “Quest” 75 min. NANOUK FILMS, LA PERIFÈRICA.
- 2018 “Yo la busco” 83 min, NANOUK FILMS. Festival de Màlaga: Movistar Best Film Award, Bisnaga Award for best actor.
- 2015 “Dead Slow Ahead” (75 min, NANOUK FILMS, EL VIAJE FILMS, TVC)- Festival de Locarno: Gran Prix of the Jury.
As producer and scriptwriter:
- 2016 “Alcaldessa” (Ada for mayor) (88 min, NANOUK FILMS). Festival de Màlaga: Best director.
As scriptwriter, director and producer:
- 2022 “Sis nits d’agost” (95 min. Nanouk Films, TVC). TVMOVIE.
- 2020 “L’ofrena” (111 min. Nanouk films, Suica Films, Fasten Films, Bord Cadre Films, Televisió de Catalunya, À punt). Festiva de Màlaga, D’A.
- 2018 “Primer estrat” (First stratum) (28 min. Nanouk Films). Festival de Màlaga. Mediterranean Film festival, best director.
- 2014 “Bugarach” (90 min, Nanouk Films, Filmtank, WDR, TVE, TVC) -VISIONS du Réel, Hotdocs, DOCUMENTAMADRID, DOCSBARCELONA, Official Competition. IDFA, Best od FESTS. Premi FIPRESCI a MESSAGE TO MEN FILM FESTIVAL (ST. PETERSBURG).
- 2014 “El cas dels catalans” (75 min, HD, TVC, tmovie).
- 2013 “Els anys salvatges” (The wild years) (70 min, HD, Nanouk Films, Televisió de Catalunya) -IDFA Competition for Feature Length Documentary: Munich Film Festival, Magnolia Award (Xangai), Millor Fotografia. Festival Internacional de Drets Humans de València, Millor Pel·lícula.
- 2011 “El somriure amagat” (The hidden smile) (13 min, HD, Nanouk Films) – Sundance Film Festival – Abu Dhabi Film Festival, Black Pearl Award -SHNIT International Short film festival Berne & Cologne (Suïssa), Best short film – Wimbledon SHORTS 2011 (UK ), best short movie – Paris Courts Devant (França) Special Jury Award -10th Euganea Film Festival (Itàlia) Best International Short Film -Madrid Imatge (Spain) Best short film / Special jury award for Best Cinematography -Corti a Ponte (Itàlia) Best Short Film.
- 2009 “El perdó” (“The forgiveness”) (Nanouk Films, 2009, HD, 65 min.), documentary that has been awarded as best documentary at the Belgrade International Documentary Festival, the Audience Award at the Mon-doc International Documentary Festival, and different recognition at the main international TV programme festivals, such as the Silver Award Winner at World Media Festival. It has also been selected in the main World International Documentary Festivals like IDFA, DOKLEIPZIG, THESSALONICA or DOCSDF.
- 2008 “The two lives of Andrés Rabadán” (Nanouk Films, TVC, 2008, 35mm, 84 min.) that has won, among other recognitions, the Best European Independent Film in 2009 at the ECU Festival in Paris, the Grand Prix by the Jury at the Annecy Spanish Cinema Biennal in 2010, three Gaudí Awards by the Catalan Academy in 2010 (best lead actor, best secondary actor and best secondary actress), Best Catalan Feature Film Award in 2009 at the Som Cinema’s Festival, and the Audience Award at the Festival International du Premier Film d’Annonay.
He has also directed and produced the following documentaries: “Isla negra, illa blanca” (52 min., Nanouk Films, TVN, TV3, Fundación Neruda and COAIB), “Hablemos del documental” (52 min. ESCAC, Nanouk Films) and “La dama dels coloms” (13 min. UAB Creative Documentary Award, FAD Audiovisual-Barcelona Plató Award).
He has also directed the audiovisual pieces for the Spanish Pavillion in te International Expo in Yeosu 2012.